Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tayberry and Lemon Loaf Cake

I'm always writing about my gorgeous tayberries and now they are starting to come to the end of their crop, and I'm so SAD !!! I knew we wouldn't eat them all at once and they do turn mouldy very quickly so I have frozen quite a lot of them to see me through...

When in season I pick the tayberries daily, hull and clean them and then lay them out in this pizza tray and put them in the freezer. The next day I pluck them from the tray and put directly into a freezer bag. That way I have individually frozen berries, rather than a berry 'clump'.
As well as making Banana bread on Sunday, I also made the Tayberry and Lemon Loaf Cake.

Here is what I used:

175gr Self Raising flour
100gr Demerara sugar
2 eggs
125gr butter (or margarine - I use PURE soy)
Approx 200gr frozen tayberries
6tbsp (a good splodge) of natural yoghurt
5tbsp lemon juice
Extra sugar and lemon juice to sprinkle
1tsp bicarbonate of soda

Here's how I did it.

Preheat the oven to 200 deg.

1. Melt butter (or marg) until just melted, add sugar and stir to melt. Add beaten eggs.
2. Add self raising flour and bicarbonate of soda.
3. With the basic cake made, now add your flavourings 3tbsp of the lemon juice, the splodge of yoghurt. Mix this into the mixture.
4. Now add the frozen berries. There is no need to defrost them. In fact they are better frozen as they do not bleed their juice into your cake so easily. Also the liquid element of the cake with the yoghurt and water make for a really moist cake.
5. Pour the mix into two one pound loaf tins, prelined in those lovely Lakeland tin liners that I keep on mentioning (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/5552_7321_5553_6545).
6. Before putting the cake in the oven sprinkle the top with sugar to make a nice crust.
7. This cake is not overly lemony to make it more so, you could add some chopped lemon rind when adding the other flavourings.
8. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Approx 30 mins.
9.When the cake is out of the oven, place on a tray to cool. Whilst the cake is hot take a tablespoon of lemon juice and pour over the top of the cake. This mingles in nicely with the crunchy sugar and soaks through to the cake.

This is lovely with icecream and more fresh tayberries.

Enjoy !

Exercise: Walk to work : 1.5 miles approx. Lunchtime run in Hyde Park: 4 miles, Feeling good.

Managed a new PB today of 30mins for the 4 miles. Felt very strong on the run. It's *so* good when you have a run like that - nothing beats it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !