Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Swimming 2

I am just now back from my second swim training session (the one where I swim with the kids). I have to say it was fantastic and I had a really great time. There were only 4 of us swimming so we get the full attention of the coach. Tonight we worked on our arms and doing the front crawl arms properly and feeling the stroke through your triceps and shoulders (if that doesn't get rid of the bingo wings, nothing will !!)

So, for most of the lesson we used a pull buoy and focussed on arms. It's a lot harder than it looks, with all those things to remember, like ...
- Your arm being straight when it enters the water
- Your arm stretching forward as it enters the water (like you're trying to reach that biscuit just that little bit too far away from your reach... sss..tt...retchhhh....)


- Your arm going through the water with a high elbow, rather than a straight arm. A straight arm will raise your body in the water which will slow you down, whereas a high elbow will not and you will have the power to follow through to the 'tricep bit' as you finish the stroke pushing your arm back behind you. That's the 'money' part apparently.. the part that gives you the most bang for your buck - or the most speed for your effort.
- Oh yes, and don't forget to breathe...

See I told you there was a lot to remember, just as well we didn't add legs into the mix as well eh ?

I missed the last session and immediately wished I had gone, so I don't think I'll be missing this again for a while. Like I said, it was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !