Thursday, May 20, 2010

Herbs


This is my herb box which sits just outside my back door. This is a photo taken of it last year when the parsley was in full bloom.  I have to say it's one of my favourite parts of the garden  -  and the most used. In there is mint, marjoram, chives, thyme and the parsley. Elsewhere in the garden I have a bay tree and a rosemary shrub. I use the chives and parsley in salads and the thyme and marjoram on pizzas and in stews as part of a bouquet garni. The mint I use in my special cheesy beans on toast made with goats cheese and broad beans, or I use it to make a fresh mint tea. On my windowsill I have shop-bought basil as I can never seem to grow it myself - I think the climate in the UK is too cold for the delicacy of the herb. 

Herbs add that something special to your food, particularly fresh herbs - you can see how small my little herb spot is, and this is even in a box (homemade - thank you Biscuit Boy), so you don't even need to find space in your flower bed. You can even grow them in pots on your windowsill - just keep them well watered. 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !