I had nearly run out of shop-bought dog treats, and little DD (Dusty Dog) so enjoyed his first batch of treats that I had to make him some more.
I was looking for a simple, quick, non-meat recipe and found a recipe that completely fitted the bill on-line here and it was just SO simple.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or a different flour..)
- 1 cup rolled oats (I used oats with added bran)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth (I used chunky)
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
Additional flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix in the peanut butter and hot water. You may
need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Knead the dough well.
- Roll out the dough into 1/4" thickness and cut into shapes with dog cookie cutters - or in my case a man cutter.
Note - This recipe doesn't call for it, but you can brush the biscuits with egg or egg-wash to give them a sheen. I didn't brush mine.
- Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes. You can leave them in the oven to get harder over night, but I didn't and they were plenty hard enough for my DD.
As you can see this recipe makes a good few biscuits for your little pooch.
Look at the anticipation on his face! I hope your dog enjoys these if you make them.
As soon as he had his biscuit he ran off to his blanket to eat him in peace. He's already devoured a head and an arm ! Bless him.