Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chocolate Cake


I wanted to make a chocolate cake. Hell ! Who am I trying to kid ? I wanted to find an easy chocolate cake, that I could get away with making for Biscuit Boy's looming birthday. Having done a cake decorating course, and being a general foodie I have great expectations of myself for his big day. However, BB thinks we are spending all day prepping food and getting ready generally, whereas I happen to know that my brother is arriving early and we will be going out for the day, which is meant as a nice little surprise for BB. Don't worry he doesn't read the blog, (who does?), so he'll never know.  So, what this means, my dear friends, is that I will be hosting a party for thirty people with practically NO prepping time. What am I gonna do ?? OMG. Anyway, hence the easy-peasy chocolate cake.

Here is the recipe, one I saw earlier on  http://reciperifle.blogspot.com/

Ingredients
225g plain flour
350g sugar
85g cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking powder   Can you believe I didn't have baking powder!! So I visited my local neighbour hood store, aka my neighbour the crayzee Italian Claudia across the street, and she kindly gave me this Italian vanilla flavoured 'levure' to use instead. I think the French use the same thing, at least, I recognize the name 'levure'. Anyhow, it made the cake rise and that was the aim. :o)
1.5tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
250ml milk
125ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
250ml boiling water


1. Put everything except the boiling water into a bowl and stir until smooth
2. Gradually add the boiling water and incorporate into the mix.
3. Pour the mix into one large tin, or two sponge tins and bake for between 30-35 minutes at 180C, or 170C if you are using a fan oven. If the cake is still squidgy after this time, leave it for a while longer and check every few minutes until the top is set.

You guys can see why I chose this recipe for it's total simplicity. In a hurry and need a quick and simple cake ? No questions, just make this. However, whilst Cupcake and I think you can taste the water in it, Biscuit Boy thought it tasted good / nice... it certainly is very squidgy. IF I do make this cake again, ever, and to be honest, it's unlikely.. since when it comes to my chocolate cakes I like trying new recipes, but if I did, I would probably serve it with some cherry compote, or other fruity accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !