Monday, November 4, 2013

Toffee Ginger Cakes with Fudgy Icing

I posted a picture of Toffee Ginger Cakes with Fudgy Icing in my last post, and promised a recipe for them, so here it is.

I can take no credit for the recipe at all as I found it in Waitrose Weekend when I was in Waitrose recently. Of course, I made some changes, but then if you read this blog you would know that I can never follow a recipe to the letter.

Ingredients
100g soft butter I used PURE Soy margarine, as usual..
100g light brown soft sugar
1tsp ground ginger I used fresh ginger, about a thumb sized piece (recipes always say that don't they)
1tsp vanilla extract
25g golden syrup
100g self raising flour, sifted Sift ? Me ? No sifting..
2 eggs

For the Fudgy Icing
25g butter I used PURE Soy margarine, as usual..
50g light brown soft sugar
2tbsp single cream oops, I think I used skimmed milk, still tasted lovely.. I never, just never have cream lying about as I try to restrict  the amount of animal dairy produce that I use and eat..
100g icing sugar

To decorate
Fudge pieces  I didn't have those either, the cakes were perfectly lovely without them.

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200 deg c, gas mark 6. Place paper cupcakes cases in a 12-hole cake tin. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.

2. Beat in the ginger, vanilla and golden syrup until combined. Gradually add a little flower and some of the egg, beating well after each addition. Repeat until all the egg and flour has been added.

3. Spoon into the cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and well risen. Place on a wire rack to cool.

4. For the icing, melt the butter (or PURE Soy margarine), and light brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, add the cream (or milk) and simmer for 5 minutes. (I don't think I simmered for 5 minutes, actually).

5. Remove from the heat and beat in the icing sugar. Spread the icing over the cakes and decorate with fudge (if you have any).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !