Monday, February 4, 2013

Lemon, Almond and Yoghurt Cake


Last week ir was BB's birthday. I still had some Total Greek yoghurt to use, so after the success of my Chocolate Yoghurt cake, I thought I would make my next favourite flavour: lemon.

Despite having a shelf heavy with cookbooks, I searched online and found an excellent recipe here

This link will take you to the Woman and Home website and this wonderful recipe for Lemon, Almond and Yoghurt Cake. The great thing about this recipe, is that is makes for a really light cake. Firstly, because all of the fat is replaced with yoghurt and secondly, some of the flour is replaced with almonds. So, if you are trying to lighten the carb and fat load - this is your cake.

Incidentally, I separated my cake mix between 2 sponge tins, rather than making a large cake. I then  sandwiched the cake with a layer of lemon curd and a layer of yoghurt.



 I sweetened the yoghurt with a little icing sugar and a little vanilla.



 I also drizzled a little lemon icing over the top. However, the lemon icing was very tart, and probably not to everybody's taste. If you use lemon icing, proceed with caution ! The recipe below calls for five lemons, I used two and I found it plenty lemony.



Ingredients


  • 2 large free-range eggs
  • 225g (8oz) caster sugar225g (8oz) Greek yoghurt                  (I also used Total)zest 3 lemons
  • 100g (4oz) blanched almonds                                                (I used ground almonds)
  • 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
for the syrup and topping
  • juice 5 lemons                                                                        (I used 1 lemon with sugar to taste)
  • 150g (5oz) granulated sugar
  • raspberries, to decorate (optional - I used lemon juice and icing sugar to make lemon icing)
you will need
  • 20cm (8in) round cake tin, oiled and bottom lined with baking parchment OR 2 sponge tins, which is what I used.

Preparation

  1. Heat the oven to 170C. To make the cake, whisk the eggs and caster sugar with an electric beater for about 5 minutes in a large bowl, until the mixture is very pale and thick. In a second bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
  2. In a food processor, whizz the blanched almonds until fairly finely ground but still with some texture. In a third bowl, add the flour, baking powder and almonds, and stir until well combined.
  3. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the eggs. Finally fold the dry flour and almond mixture in and carefully pour into the tin. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the cake is golden and a skewer comes out clean. Cover with a square of foil 30 minutes into baking to stop it from going too brown. 
  4. Prick the cake all over with a skewer. To make the syrup, heat the lemon juice in a small pan then stir the granulated sugar into the juice. Immediately pour the syrup over the cake so the juice sinks into it and the sugar forms a crunchy layer. To decorate, place the fresh raspberries on top of the cake.

    Or sandwich your cakes together with lemon curd and vanilla flavoured yoghurt - Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment !