Friday, September 17, 2010

Simple Soup

Well, we 're back in the swing of things with school, work and all of those after school activities so blogging has been sadly neglected - and I have so much to write about too! Tons of recipes and race reports. So, although I have a veritable list that I could write about I am going to write about something that is fresh in my mind, and that is the 'quick soup' that I created tonight as I felt in the mood for a little light chopping.

On the sport front, tomorrow I am doing this race: http://www.humanrace.co.uk/events/triathlon/tough-tracks-2010 I have entered  the 8K run, rather than the duathlon. I am looking forward to the race, it will be the first time that I race wearing the CompresSport socks, rather than using them in training or recovery. I will give a full report on how the race goes in due course, but for now on with the soup ! I purposely didn't call this 'Minestrone' as I didn't want to upset anyone with my inaccuracies in my recipe. Although having just had a little peek it does look like Minestrone with a mild beefy tomato base, cabbage, pasta and numerous vegetables. I guess one big difference was my addition of a dollop of a harissa. I always have this need for HEAT!

I also wanted to use the ingredients that I had hanging around in the fridge - the courgettes, the pepper, the pak choi... Also, as I've been so busy this week I've committed the ultimate foodie sin and skipped meals and substituted the odd meal for chocolate all week. Not good is it ? Even worse with a race looming ! So I figured if a had a nutritious vat of soup available in the fridge all week then I can take that to work, and maybe next week will be better....

Here's the recipe. A photo will follow as I haven't even served this yet ! Chop all of the veg into small pieces, 'dice' I suppose you'd call it.. (Update: You can now view the photo at the bottom of the page.)

1.5 yellow peppers
1 red onion
1 yellow courgette (what else ? ha!)
1 beef stock cube
4 pak choi (aka bok choy) cabbage
1 garlic clove, minced
1tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 fresh tomato, skinned and chopped
1tsp harissa
3 handfuls of small pasta
1 small tin kidney beans
3 handfuls of edamame beans

Method

1) Chop up all of the veg to 'dice'.
2) Heat the olive oil and saute the chopped onion and garlic.
3) Add the courgette and pepper and continued to saute on a moderate heat until the veg are slightly softened. Add the harissa and stir.
4) In a jug, add boiling water crumble the stock cube into it, stirring as you go.
5) Add the stock to the vegetables and top up with water until the vegetables are completely covered with water, you know what I mean.. like soup right?
6) Bring the soup to the boil, add the pasta and then turn down to a simmer.
7) Add the fresh tomato to add a little acidity
8) Leave to simmer until the pasta is cooked.
9) Add the kidney beans, pak choi and edamame beans. These beans are already cooked so they do  not need excessive simmering and the pak choi takes just a moment to heat through.
10) Serve nice and hot with some sort of crusty bread. I also like the idea of a 'kind-of' pistou served on the top of the soup,or you can stir it into the soup.

This soup, of course, tastes better the longer you leave it as the flavours develop.
Pistou (KG-Style)

A handful of basil leaves
olive oil
Lemon juice
Grated Parmesan
Salt and Pepper


1. Mix all of the above in a pestle and mortar to a creamy texture.

This pistou is completely versatile, so taste as you go adjusting with the ingredients and seasoning to your personal taste.

Enjoy !

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm. I love making soup. It is not meant to be complicated! :) Thanks for sharing! ~Alison

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment !